Revision as of 17:21, 17 August 2010 by Balatro
Topics that could be added to this wiki
- Open-source governance aka participatory democracy
- Architecture/ housing/ livingry (this is the most obvious thing lacking right now)
- Virtual reality, its applications and the emerging technologies that are enabling it
- Synthetic biology (and biotechnology generally)
- Making cheap pharmaceuticals
- Better food
- Photosynthetic and microbial electricity. Bacteria for producing hydrogen fuel from water.
- Restore environment (bioremediation). Scrub carbon . Industries that produce toxic chemicals could break them down on-site.
- Terraforming of Mars. Find extremophile bacteria that could thrive in the Martian atmosphere and temperatures (there are already candidates for this), and engineer/breed them to produce maximal levels of oxygen.
Roadmap to post-scarcity
- Better fabrication technologies, culiminating in the molecular assembler.
- Somewhere along the way, fabrication technologies will become self-replicating. This is an important disruptive technology, because it takes productivity away from the industrial production-line.
- As fabrication technologies (including CAD software) become easier to use, they will be used by the general population, not just specialists. An expanded user-base means more people posting free designs online.
- Self-repairing technology cutting humans out of the loop
- The existing free resources (information, software, and free physical goods like freecycling) will steadily grow until many people can live off them